So the CCA’s are done and dusted for another year….big congrats to awards Founder Tim Progosh and his team of producers, volunteers and particularly to my PR colleague, Jennifer Murray, whose Twitter fingers must be crippled after posting almost a thousand tweets over the 5-day Festival period and the lead-up weeks. Bravo, everyone! Here is a list of the winners and photos from backstage after the presentations. For more info, please visit the website: www.canadiancomedy.ca and follow them on Facebook and Twitter, too. Below, Tim poses with Cathy Jones (l), his sister and the Ottawa’s hometown boy, Mike MacDonald (r).
And Tim welcomed Paul Hartman (below) who was on hand to present a special award in his brother’s name – “The Phil Hartman Comedy Award” later that evening.
So many cheers and tears but everyone had such a blast. Many of the comedians, comic actors, improvisers, writers and directors had not met before as the winners came from across the country – from BC to Nfld!
THE WINNERS 2014
1) Comedy Person of the Year Dave Foley
2) Best Feature Film Lawrence & Holloman
3) Best Writing in a Feature Jeremy LaLonde – Sex After Kids
4) Best Comedy Special or Short Torturous
5) Best Male Performance in a Feature Jon Dore – Stag
6) Best Female Performance in a Feature Ingrid Haas – That Burning Feeling
7) Best Audio Show or Series Stop Podcasting Yourself
8) Best Audio Clip Bee Circus
9) Best Web Series Convos With My 2-Year-Old
10) Best Direction in a Web Series Mike Fly & Simon Fraser –The Dark Night Versus Valerie – Versus Valerie Ep. 10
11) Best Writing in a Web Series Bob Kerr – Acting Class– But I’m Chris Jericho! Ep 104
12) Best Female Performance in a Web Series Kayla Lorette – Everyone’s Famous
13) Best Male Performance in a Web Series Scott Thompson – But I’m Chris Jericho!
14) Best Breakout Artist Ken Hall
15) Best Taped Live Performance Darrin Rose – Just For Laughs All Access
16) Best Male Stand up Chris Locke
17) Best Female Stand up DeAnne Smith
18) Best Sketch Troupe Peter ‘n’ Chris
19) Best Improv Troupe The Sufferettes
20) Best Male Improvisor Adam Cawley
21) Best Female Improvisor Kayla Lorette
22) Best Variety Act Morro and Jasp
23) Best Comedic Play, Revue or Series Peter n’ Chris Explore Their Bodies
24) Best One Person Show Weaksauce
25) Best TV Show This Hour Has 22 Minutes season XXI
26) Best Direction In a TV Series Nathan Fielder– Gas Station/Caricature Artist – Nathan For You #103
27) Best Writing in a TV Series or Special Nathan Fielder-Gas Station/Caricature Artist – Nathan For You #103
28) Best Female Performance in a TV Series Nikki Payne – Satisfaction
29) Best Male Performance in a TV Series Nathan Fielder – Nathan For You
Phil Hartman Award: Kenny Robinson
Dave Broadfoot Award: Ron James
Roger Abbott Award: Kyra Williams & Gary Rideout Jr.
Am so proud that my friend Kenny Robinson was presented with the Phil Hartman Comedy Award. I’ve known and worked with Kenny since the 80’s and he was always reliable and one of the most respectful and respected stand-up comics I’ve ever worked with. Kenny was truly surprised and touched by this award….congrats, big guy, this honour is so well deserved.
Phil made the rounds and schmoozed with all the stars – yes, some of the late great comedian’s ashes are in the award itself. Here, Paul introduces “Phil” to Ron James, Scott Thompson, Tom Green and Ben Miner (below)
We had the wonderful Mr. Hollywood (Matt Demers) and his crew shooting interviews for the Awards gala at the Ottawa Little Theatre – a great theatre offering professional tech support, box office, bar staff and a beautifully appointed soft-seat auditorium.
Thanks so much, Matt, Jessica and Kyle http://mrhollywood.net/ – you can sub-in for ET Canada anytime!
Lots of activity before the show – lots of schmoozing, comparing jokes, and cocktails!!
…and then the lights flickers and the bells chimed…it’s SHOW TIME!
“Ladies and gentlemen, your host…..Tom Green!” And so the Awards began and nominees and winners streamed backstage for their photo opps.
Even the Founder of Yuk Yuk’s and the “godfather of Canadian stand-up” Mark Breslin enjoyed the sponsored backstage refreshments!
So it’s congratulations to everyone and a big thank-you to Ottawa for making us all feel welcome.
Jennifer and I headed back to Toronto yesterday afternoon, courtesy of our travel sponsor VIA Rail and I think this pic of Jenn taken at the station sums it up well – tired but very happy that everything worked out well.
Thanks to CTV Ottawa for all your awesome support with interviews and on-site news cameras, radio TSN1200 for having comedian Graham Kay sit in on your sports show and thanks to the Courtyard Marriott who helped out with ongoing WiFi assistance.
Kudos to all the club venues – their patient and hospitable staff and mgmn’t – for hosting multiple shows: Yuk Yuk’s, Absolute Comedy, Arts Court, The Velvet Room, Great Canadian Cabin and PPL
So it’s goodbye from me…and goodbye from them!